Sunday, January 22, 2012

THE EARNEST BAKER (VEGAN FOR A NIGHT)



Every time I run out of eggs or butter I become a vegan. (Until, of course the next day when I buy more eggs and butter!) I know some great bakers and some great Vegan bakers...I am neither under any circumstance. I am an earnest baker at best and a lazy half-*#ssed baker otherwise. Tonight was an earnest attempt to conjure up some peanut butter cookies for a dear friend who deserves a decent vegan treat!


Recipe follows....



Decent Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies


1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. regular flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/2 c. chunky organic peanut butter
1-2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. olive oil


Preheat oven 375 degrees


Mix the first 4 dry ingredients together.


Cream together the second 5 wet ingredients. 


Combine wet and dry. Taste. At this point I thought it tasted super good raw and did not want to bake them. Alas! I went ahead with the baking plan.


The consistency was sort of sandy but I could roll them into balls and fork 'em two ways in order to get that classic peanut butter cookie look. 


I baked them about 10 minutes keeping a close eye and nose towards burning. "Oh, no! What do you mean? Only good enough to eat at home! Too burnt for company? Oh, shucks."


Be alert!


Stick chocolate chunks onto hot cookies. Meld. Eat. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment