Thursday, October 13, 2011

ALL THE LONELY PAINTINGS: MoMA


Varvara Stepanova, Figure, 1921, oil on canvas
The MoMa was smashed full of people avoiding a spot of rain and taking in the de Kooning retrospective. I too had come to see the heralded de Kooning exhibition curated by John Elderfield. However the show was so crowded that protecting my broken foot became a distraction. When I took a swipe at two young Spanish tourists as they collided with my injured paw I knew it was time for me to move on.

It was time to look at all the paintings that were not drawing a crowd. It was time to discover all the lonely paintings. de Kooning had a Cedar Tavern cool crew packed in and around each brush stroke. There was no room for the paintings to greet each other o the wall let a lone a visitor see them. 

But one floor away...Stepanova was dancing!

de Kooning

Bernard Buffet, (I believe this may be titled Blowfish)

Morandi, 1931, Oil on canvas

Lyubov Popova, Painterly Architectonic, 1971, Oil on canvas

Sophie Taeuber-Arp, Schematic Composition, 1933, Oil and wood on composition board

Leger

Paul Cezanne, Still Life with Apples, 1895-98, Oil on canvas

Al Held painting in the MoMa lobby

Crowd

No comments:

Post a Comment