Tuesday, April 26, 2011

THE BEST ICE CREAM IN VIENNA (Bermuda Triangle be damned)




I live in the Bermuda Triangle of Eissalons (Ice cream parlors): Zanoni & Zanoni, Eissalon Tuchlauben and Gelateria Hohemarkt, each separated by their fans and foes and a mere 2 minute walk. Though my favorite flavor resides a whole 4 minute walk away at Schwedenplatz....if I ever disappear check the triangle.


Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of ice cream. I love it, really I do, but it is not something I can eat daily or even a few times a week. However the vast majority of Viennese appear to eat copious quantities of baroque ice cream concoctions in the open air as part of a sweet melting ritual. I found this puzzling because the ice cream, in general is just so-so (and Zanoni is just plain bad). It always surprised me that for such an ice cream loving place there were not more places with great Ice cream!


And then attracted like a fly to a cow’s back I landed on Eis Greissler…my new favorite ice cream place. It was probably open for about 2 minutes when I noticed it gleaming all white and blue with a big cow head hung inside, a small board of flavors (many vegan!) all locally sourced, raw sugared, Bio and fabulous thus far. They have been open only 3 weeks and those first days when it was just the cow and I waiting in line for vegan pear and walnut cones have ended forever. Even on a cool, overcast day ... there are lines, and an isosceles triangle.


Eis Greissler, Rotenturmstrasse 14. 1010 Vienna



No comments:

Post a Comment